Friday, November 18, 2011

Whats more expensive yew or ebony?

Whats more expensive yew or ebony?


Thank you for answering.

Whats more expensive yew or ebony?
You don't say what you intend to use the Ebony for but, if it`s for making furniture it will be almost impossible to find a timber merchant that stocks it. Even if you found some you would need to take out a mortgage to be able to afford it. As far as Yew is concerned, it is available but again, very expensive due to the way the trees grow. I planned to make a TV cabinet out of Yew a number of years ago and took my cutting list to my timber merchant . He took me to the store and showed me boards of Yew.It is full of holes, twists etc. As a result it is usually used as a veneer over ply. He advised me to use Cherry instead assuring me when it had been stained, polished and aged I wouldn't tell the difference. He was right.
Reply:Yew as it is not normally cut for timber.


No comments:

Post a Comment